10.07.2009

Chicken Paprikash

Our little Hungarian meal...


This is one of those dishes that I never use a recipe for and that I really don't know how to explain. My grandma gave me her best attempt at a recipe for this a couple years ago - and now, like her, I just kind of eyeball it, taste as I go, and basically just wing it.

It's really best when you just don't think too hard about it and make it your own. So please allow me to be a little vague this time...

Ingredients
  • 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
  • Paprika. Lots and lots of paprika.  Hungarian paprika is best.
  • Minced onion
  • Minced garlic
  • Low-sodium chicken broth
  • Chicken bouillon cubes (if needed)
  • Black pepper
  • Salt, if needed (or seasoning salt)
  • **Optional: 1 cup sour cream** (my family has always made it without)
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup water (more or less as needed)
  • 1 large egg

Directions
  1. Start a large pot of water boiling for nokedli (Hungarian dumplings, aka spaetzel, aka halushka noodles).
  2. Meanwhile, cut chicken into bite-size pieces and brown in a large/deep skillet (or a medium sauce pan).  Season with some paprika, black pepper, and the onion and garlic.  Cook until browned.

  3. Add about 3-4 cups of chicken broth (or water + bouillon) - be sure to scrape browned chicken bits off bottom of the pan. mmm!
  4. Stir in about 4-5 tsp paprika, and more seasonings according to taste.

  5. Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes or so - tasting as you go.
  6. While chicken-paprika mixture is simmering, prepare nokedli: Combine flour, egg, and water until you have a pancake-batter-like mixture (add flour and/or water until you get the right consistency).

  7. With an oversized spoon, scoop up some dough, hold it over the large pot of boiling water, and use a butter knife to "cut" off pieces of dough - letting them drop into the boiling water.  Make them as large or small as you like.


    Note: I have a handy little spaetzel grater that will do this more quickly, but I always end up burning my wrist from holding it over the steam for so long!
  8. Once all of the nokedli are in the pot, wait for them to rise to the top and float - cook another 2-3 minutes and then drain them into a collander.

  9. Return the nokedli to the (now-empty) pot, away from heat.  Add a little butter, salt, and pepper if you like.

  10. Carefully pour the chicken-paprika mixture (which will be quite soupy) into the pot over the nokedli. **If you are using sour cream, mix it in with the chicken sauce before pouring over nokedli.**

    Stir well. Let this sit for a few minutes so that the nokedli absorb the liquid.
  11. Serve in bowls with spoons...and bread for dipping!


So good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I would love to try this. I have a paprikash recipe in my blog, and I assumed it was authentic, but obviously it isn't! It calls for tomato paste, sour cream, and onions.