10.03.2009

Baked Taco Dip

I wanted to try something new to munch on while watching the PSU-Illinois game today.  My original plan was to make a baked chili dip...alas, I ran out of chili powder.  So I decided to make a baked taco dip, instead.  And because I use natural or organic ingredients whenever possible, it's not TOO unhealthy :-)

I didn't have a recipe to follow, so I just kind of made it up as I went.  I hope it's good!
**This can be served cold without baking, too.**



Ingredients
  • 1 lb ground turkey (all-natural; you could use ground beef instead, of course)
  • 6 tbsp taco seasoning (recipe here; or 1 packet store-bought)
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 8 oz cream cheese (I used Nature's Promise organic), softened
  • 4 oz sour cream (also organic)
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp dried cilantro
  • 2 green onions, chopped (plus extra for garnish)
  • 2 cups shredded Mexican Blend cheese (used Kraft all-natural)

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350-degrees F
  2. Brown ground meat in a skillet; drain when done.
  3. Add taco seasoning and water to pan; mix and simmer 3-5 minutes.

  4. Mix cream cheese, sour cream, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, cilantro,  and green onions until blended (I use an electric hand-mixer to get all of the lumps out).

  5. Spread cream cheese mixture into bottom of an 8x8" glass casserole dish.

  6. Layer seasoned meat on top of cream cheese mixture. Spread evenly.

  7. Layer shredded cheese on top.
  8. Sprinkle with extra green onion as garnish.

  9. Bake 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.

  10. Serve hot with crackers, Tostitos Scoops, or cornchips.


*Optional add-ins (add as layers): Salsa, fresh tomatoes, black beans, refried beans, corn, olives....whatever you like!

No comments: