10.18.2009

Slow-Cooker Meatloaf

I attempted meatloaf a couple years ago and it, well, wasn't great.  I got up the nerve to try it again today and I give this version an A+!  It is adapted from this allrecipes.com recipe (I added a lot more seasoning, as reflected below).


Ingredients

  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs (I used Italian Panko)
  • 2 tsp minced onion
  • 1 tsp salt or seasoning salt
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 1/2 lb ground sirloin or turkey
  • 1/2 cup ketchup (I used organic)
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 2 tsp ground mustard powder
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well (mixture will be moist.) 
  2. Shape into a round loaf and place in a 5-qt. slow cooker.

  3. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours (I cooked on high for 3 hours) or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees F.
  4. In a small bowl, whisk the ketchup, brown sugar, mustard powder and Worcestershire sauce until well blended.
  5. Spoon over the meat loaf. Cook 15 minutes longer or until heated through. 



No comments: