2.09.2008

Honey-Wheat Bread



I am seriously in love with my bread machine. I've only used it about 8 times so far (it was a wedding gift), and each time I use it I swear the bread is better than the last batch.
Homemade bread is so easy to make! I love the idea of making fresh bread every Sunday when we have a family.

I've tried a few of the recipes in the manual (including French bread and Italian Herb & Cheese), but here is my favorite recipe so far:



Honey-Wheat Bread
(inspired by "Simple Whole Wheat Bread" from allrecipes.com, but I changed the recipe a lot)

Ingredients:
  • 1-1/2 cups warm water
  • 3 tbsp honey (adjust this to taste - more honey for sweeter bread)
  • 1-1/2 tbsp melted butter
  • 1-1/4 cups bread flour
  • 3 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1-1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 package dry active yeast
  • 1 tbsp melted butter (for top of bread)
Directions:
(follow the directions for your own bread machine - these directions are according to the Salton Breadman Bread Machine manual. For oven instructions, see further down)
  1. Add liquid ingredients to bread pan (water, honey, melted butter).
  2. Add dry ingredients (wheat flour, bread flour, salt) and create a small hole in the center for the yeast. Make sure the hole isn't so deep that you reach the liquid ingredients.
  3. Select bread settings (for my machine, I choose the Whole Wheat setting, 2-lb loaf, rapid rise. Consult your manual for alternate settings).
  4. Lift lid of bread machine when 10-15 minutes remain. Baste loaf with melted butter. Close lid and allow to finish.


Oven Directions
(directly from allrecipes.com recipe mentioned above - I have not tried this method for myself):
  1. In a large bowl, mix warm water, yeast, and 1/2 of the honey. Add bread flour, and stir to combine. Let set for 30 minutes, or until big and bubbly.
  2. Mix in melted butter, rest of the honey, and salt. Stir in whole wheat flour. Flour a flat surface and knead with whole wheat flour until not real sticky - just pulling away from the counter, but still sticky to touch. This may take additional whole wheat flour. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to coat the surface of the dough. Cover with a dishtowel. Let rise in a warm place until doubled.
  3. Punch down (divide into 2 loaves, depending on your bread pan size). Place in greased bread loaf pan(s), and allow to rise until dough has topped the pans by one inch.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes; do not overbake. Lightly brush the tops of loaves with melted butter or margarine when done to prevent crust from getting hard.

No comments: