2.13.2008

Chicken Noodle Soup!

Can't think of a better meal for the icy cold week we've had so far! Plus, I seem to cook like I'm feeding an army, so we'll have plenty of leftovers for Valentine's Day, since we're not doing our fancy dinner out until Friday :)



Feel free to scale this down!!

Ingredients:
  • 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 cups boiled/shredded chicken (I am all about the grocery store rotiss chicken for this!)
  • 1 cup chopped carrots (I cut baby carrots into thirds)
  • 2 stalks chopped celery (I use my food chopper to mince it real tiny - I love the flavor but I'm not big on chunks of celery in my soup).
  • 3 chicken bouillon cubes (love the seemingly unnecessary addition of flavor!)
  • Seasonings to taste (I use garlic powder, minced dried onion, black pepper, and dried parsley flakes)
  • 12 ounces egg noodles (we're on a thin noodle kick now, but the wide egg noodles are great too).
Directions:
  1. Shred chicken into large stock pot and season. I let this brown for about 5 minutes on a medium heat, constantly stirring.
  2. Add the chicken broth and bouillon, and stir up any chicken that browned to the bottom of the pot.
  3. Add carrots and celery.
  4. Boil on medium-high for about 25 minutes, until carrots are tender.
  5. Noodles: you can do this one of two ways. (1) Add uncooked noodles directly to soup and allow to boil about 5 minutes, until noodles are done; or (2) Boil noodles in a separate pot of water, drain, and add to the soup once finished (I do this).

No comments: