2.09.2008

Cheeseburger!


This Friday was cheeseburgers-and-fries night! Only I tried to make it all as low-fat as possible.

I had planned on making turkey burgers, but I read in the latest Glamour that ground sirloin is actually lower in fat and calories. Wahoo - beefy burgers! I served them on toasted whole-wheat buns, but don't worry, I combated all of that with some thick slices of cheddar :)

Even though I had a bag of Ore-Ida seasoned fries, I decided to make my own fries. I found a recipe for Cajun roasted potatoes and I'm not sure I'll ever make frozen fries again!


Wow, looking at this picture makes me realize how HUGE the servings are at restaurants! This is a quarter-pounder burger and it barely takes up any room.......a burger from Ruby Tuesday or Friday's would be half the size of this plate! :)

Ground Sirloin Burgers
(adapted from "Actually Delicious Turkey Burgers" on allrecipes.com)

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound ground sirloin (I used 83% fat-free)
  • 2 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs
  • 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon finely diced onion
  • 1 egg white, lightly beaten
  • 1 tsp dried parsley
  • 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper (I actually did 1/2 tsp seasoning salt instead of the salt + pepper).
Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, mix ground sirloin, seasoned bread crumbs, onion, egg white, parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper. Form into 4 patties.
  2. Cook the patties in a medium skillet over medium heat, turning once, to an internal temperature of 180 degrees F. Put cheese on top a few minutes before removing from heat.
**I used my electric griddle and cooked them about 10-12 minutes on each side. I'm not exactly sure how long they cooked on the 2nd side after I put the cheese on top, but I cut into the center of a couple to check doneness. I'm paranoid about uncooked meat**

I toasted Pepperidge Farm whole-wheat hamburger buns and put out some sliced tomatoes, lettuce leaves, pickles, ketchup, and mustard.

I served a side of Roasted Cajun Potatoes instead of fries. Yummy!


No comments: