1.14.2008

Thai Chicken and Rice

This was my first attempt at Thai. I honestly haven't tried authentic Thai enough to judge how authentic this recipe is, but it was quite delicious just in general.
Bill gave me the greatest compliment - he said this was the most restaurant-like meal I've ever made :)

Suggestion: Use your favorite veggies. The original recipe (from allrecipes.com) called for just chicken and broccoli. I personally love snap peas, so I substituted those for the broccoli and added some freshly shredded carrots (although the were shredded so thinly that you can't see them in the pics. Trust me, they're in there!).



Ingredients:
  • 6 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
  • 4 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
  • 4 teaspoons rice vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper - [Note: This amount gives a real bite. If you prefer less spicy, use only 1/4 tsp]
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into thin strips
  • 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger root
  • 3/4 cup chopped green onions
  • 2 cups sugar snap peas (or snow peas)
  • 1/3 cup shredded carrots
  • 1/3 cup unsalted dry-roasted peanuts

Directions:
  1. In a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, peanut butter, vinegar, and cayenne pepper (Tip: I used a whisk). Set aside.
  2. Heat oil in a skillet or wok over high heat. Add chicken, garlic, and ginger. Cook, stirring constantly, until chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes.
  3. Reduce heat to medium, and add green onion, peas, carrots, peanuts, and the sauce. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5-10 minutes, or until peas are tender. Serve over cooked white rice.

No comments: