1.21.2008

Cornbread!




Here is the yummy cornbread I made to accompany my chili. I've discovered that different people look for different traits in their cornbread - I personally like mine a little dense (so I can pick it up without it crumbling, and so I can dip it), sweet, and crunchy on the top and edges.

I dedicate this recipe to my poor husband, who had to run to the store for me to get baking powder once I realized I was all out. Without him, there would be no cornbread in our chili tonight. LOL!

Recipe from allrecipes.com -- no alterations. It was perfect (to us) just as originally written! ....Except I did cook it longer than the original recipe said (about 28 minutes, versus the "20-25" suggested on All Recipes) and I used an 8-inch round pan instead of 9-inch like suggested.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray or lightly grease an 8-inch (or 9-inch) round cake pan.
  2. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Stir in egg, milk and vegetable oil until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes (mine needed 27 minutes), or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your cornbread looks fabulous! Uniform in color, rise, and no cracks! I'm impressed.