1.27.2009

Garlic Croutons

I got made fun of a bit for this one....I mean, isn't salad supposed to be simple? :-)

I've had trouble finding non-processed croutons...I did find an organic, whole wheat variety, but honestly, they sucked. So I decided to make them myself. They're very easy! And I mean, what else are you going to do with that stale bread??

Garlic Croutons



Ingredients
  • Stale bread (I used 3 hoagie rolls that had been in my fridge for a couple weeks. The staler, the better....just make sure it hasn't gone moldy!)
  • 4 tablespoons butter (I use organic butter. For my 3 rolls, I actually needed a full stick of butter)
  • 1 clove minced garlic (I used garlic powder instead)
  • Herbs of choice (I used parsley and Italian seasonings)
Directions
  1. Cut bread into small cubes




  2. Melt butter in large skillet; add garlic + herbs
  3. Add bread cubes to skillet and toss until well coated; cook on medium for about 1 minute (I had to do 2 batches, each with 4 tbsp butter).
  4. Spread bread onto baking sheet (lined with foil so you don't have to clean the pan!).
  5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes - turning croutons frequently to avoid burning and to ensure even baking.




Put unused croutons in an airtight container or bag and store in pantry. I plan to keep adding to my supply every time I have some bread to use up, so that I always have some on hand for a quick salad.

No comments: