9.29.2009

Back at it...Stuffed Peppers and Cornbread

Ingredients
  • 4 green bell peppers, halved and seeded
  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
  • 1-1/2 cup water
  • 15 oz spaghetti sauce (I used Organic Ragu Traditional)
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar (I used a cheddar-jack mix)
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
  • 1/2 tsp ground corriander
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • salt & pepper to taste


Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400-degrees F
  2. Mix rice, water, and garlic in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, brown the meat in a skillet; drain; remove from heat.
  4. Mix spices, sauce, cheese, and cooked rice in with the meat.
  5. Spoon mixture into pepper halves and line them in a baking dish (I coated my dish with oil first).

  6. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
  7. Remove foil and top the peppers with shredded cheddar. Return to oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes.


Note: We like the peppers on the crisp side. If you prefer them softer, blanch the peppers first or increase the baking time until they are the desired consistency.


I served these with a side of cornbread (recipe here).

No comments: