Until then, I hadn't known that cheesecake wasn't "instant" (*cough cough* JELL-O brand No Bake), mixed up in 5 minutes and refrigerated. I obviously had a lot to learn.
A few years ago, my sister-in-law was having a birthday dinner and I asked what I could bring. She requested "something chocolaty" so I decided to attempt one of these crazy cheesecake things. And boy did it go over well!!! Since then, I've perfected the top layer (which was originally a too-thick ganache that we practically needed a blow torch to get through!), and so here is what I came up with:
Julia's Triple Chocolate Cheesecake
Ingredients
For Crust:
- 1-1/2 cups chocolate cookie crumbs (you can get Oreo crumbs in the baking aisle)
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted (I use Nature's Promise or Harris Teeter brand organic butter)
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips NOTE: I like to use Godiva or Ghiardelli chocolate - it really makes a difference.
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened (I use Organic Valley brand)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9-inch springform pan.
- To Make Crust: In a small bowl, mix together chocolate cookie crumbs, sugar, and melted butter. Press onto the bottom and 1-1/2 inch up the sides of the prepared springform pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Allow to cool. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- To Make Filling: In a small saucepan, heat cream and chocolate chips, stirring constantly, until chips are melted. Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and 1 cup of sugar until smooth (I'm loving the Kitchen Aid stand mixer!).
- Add cocoa and beat well. Add eggs and beat on low until just blended. Stir in vanilla and reserved chocolate mixture until blended.
- Pour over crust.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until center is almost set (but still a little jiggly). Unfortunately I can't always avoid getting cheesecake cracks :( My only "perfect" one was the first one!
Ganache topping
Ingredients
- 1 cup chocolate of choice (I use dark, >60% cocoa. Again, get the good stuff)
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Decorative topping of choice (I used swirled chocolate chips this time; I've used chocolate shavings and strawberries in the past)
- In a small saucepan, heat whipping cream until just before boiling.
- Stir constantly and be careful not to boil over.
- Pour chocolate chips in the hot cream and stir with a spoon until smooth.
- Spread over baked cheesecake and refrigerate overnight (or until ganache has hardened).
BEFORE
DURING
AFTER
I made this cheesecake in Feb 09 and topped it with chocolate sprinkles. I applied the ganache differently this time...first I chilled the cake w/out any topping. The next day I prepared the ganache and poured it over the cake *after* removing the springform pan sides. I allowed the ganache to drizzle down the sides and let it chill in the freezer for about 2 hours (then added the sprinkles and let it chill another hour or so in the freezer to get the ganache nice and firm).
1 comment:
Oh wow! This looks amazing!
Post a Comment